David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 12 September 2024

Nothing as yet...

...from the Footsore Kickstarter featuring Matt's Vikings, though that's hardly surprising given the August communication revealing that 15,000 packs - yes, packs not figures - were being cast and bagged to meet the final order. Herculean efforts are being made daily it seems to meet the deadline, of which they seem confident. As a Kickstarter newbie part of me still thinks I'll believe these when they pop through the letter box? 

Anyway, as the sculptor's dad I had rather naively hoped to get my modest purchase early in the release, also given that I was backer #50something. Such delusions of grandeur! It seems things don't work that way at all. So, with no fresh figures to work on I returned to tinkering with the four resin test casts and combining them on a small base for using with my 1066 & All That project. I thought you might enjoy seeing how it turned out ~

On other projects: the rebased Late Romans have had their textured bases washed with Country Maple; four units of Foundry Late Romans I sourced from Colonel Bill's and Foundry have been cleaned up and assembled ready for spray undercoating on the next dry day! Whenever that might be!!!! Turns out that was this afternoon! Oh, and the first base of Chasseurs à Pied have been finished for the Crimean War collection, parts of which feature in the October issue of Wargames Illustrated I believe. It's been a busy few days here in GHQ!

24 comments:

  1. I fail to grasp a situation of running out of figures to paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fault Jon, I just meant no Vikings as yet! Lots of other stuff in the Lead Pimple!

      Delete
  2. Lovely stand, showing some really nice animation. 15,000 packs is incredible …. Well done Matt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem a lot Norm, but I presume it was well backed as it vastly exceeded the target. I've seen most of the figures as resin test casts, you will find them all wonderfully animated. By the by, good to see you back amongst us!

      Delete
  3. Well that is an awful lot of packs that need processing, but when you have great sculpts, it's not surprising it was so well backed:)! You have been busy on other projects and look forward to seeing them in due course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will be along in due course hopefully as you say.

      Delete
  4. They look like they will be up to no good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No horned helmets here. Lovely figures. I am still waiting for a Kickstarter after several years, I am never going to see a return, robbing so and so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George, though the Kickstarter comment is far from encouraging.

      Delete
  6. For someone with 'nothing much to do' until the new figures arrive you've been very busy. I've managed to arrange to be away when the kickstarter comes so they are headed for my daughter's where I shall be headed as soon as I'm home again. Looking forward to getting my hands on the new stuff. Yours will probably all be painted before I've finished the first dozen!
    Have you a ruleset in mind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been keeping busy while Sue is away, that's true, but I do doubt the Vikings will all be painted that quickly. First up is finishing the Crimean French line brigade, then the extra Late Romans need starting at least. Vikings might get a look in about November alongside my small Epic Punic Wars project. Then there is the Pyrrhic Wars army in the wings...and I've not been to TOP yet!

      Delete
  7. Nice stand, they look really good based up. Having never backed a kickstarter I have no idea how quick they deliver but 15k packs is some amount, a really well backed one by the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie! If/when LBMS deins to reopen and I can get some shield transfers I think it will round them off and give me some ideas of the look for the metal versions.

      Delete
  8. The figures look fantastically animated and the detail is superb.
    You've done an excellent job on them.
    Having backed a number of kickstarters, the wait can can be anything from almost immediately to several months.
    One reward I should have received in March 2021 I'm still waiting for!!
    Footsore are usually pretty spot on with their dates, but 15000 packs.... Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually March 2021 was the funded date, April 2022 was the fulfillment date

      Delete
    2. Well, I hope that they meet their published targets as I know the figures were made prior to the Kickstarter campaign. I'm not given to tolerate incompetence, I had enough of that from colleagues and politicians in my working life thank you!

      Delete
  9. Nicely done David and a good looking command base 👍

    ReplyDelete
  10. A nice looking stand David…
    15,000 packs… that’s impressive… but I’m not surprised given how nice Matt’s masters were…
    It’s good to see that the butterfly is still strong in you…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of myself more as a moth if I'm truthful: large, ugly and not too stable in flight!

      Delete
  11. A very fine command stand David!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  12. The stand looks lovely.... a taste of things to come surely! It looks like it's going to be a very popular range, as to be expected with such fine sculpts.

    ReplyDelete