David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Wednesday 25 September 2024

Just A Quick Word.

Life constantly has a way of surprising you I've found down the years. Only last weekend I mentioned that there was no game planned in GHQ this week. Scrub that then: fellow Saddlers Season Ticket holder Simon turned up on Monday for a game, just because he saw my blog post! We played a small late medieval Italian Wars game ~

I would describe Simon as a good friend and a once in a blue moon wargamer! Needless to say Simon ran out victorious in five turns using Hail Caesar. I'll not mention my dice throws for now...🎲🎲🎲🎲🎲🎲
Just a short while ago you might recall I mentioned that I had been using illustrations found through web searches as painting references for my Crimean War French infantry as I was reluctant to pay northwards of £40 for the book on French Uniforms sold by Caliver Books. That prompted a message from Aly Morrison asking if I'd like a copy as he had two. It duly arrived on Tuesday morning while I was over at Phil's for our weekly game. Oh, I must mention, Aly wanted nothing for the book, it was a gift! Marvellous folk in our wonderful hobby!
As I mentioned marvellous folk and Phil, here is the man himself surveying our C3rd Romans v Goths game. I took the Goths as ever, they are nearest the camera in that shot.
By Turn 2 the Goths were just getting stuck in after initial hesitation, apart from their Warband infantry who just wanted to hang around!
By Turn 4 the Goths seemed to be getting the upper hand, Roman units were being held or pushed back and losses amounted to just a few Light Cavalry.
Come Turn 5 and the tables are turned dramatically. In one decisive combat I score 2 hits from 13 dice. Phil save's them both. He inflicts 7 hits from 7 and I loose 6! I roll 4 for my morale check and three Goth units go south! Two Broken Brigades, game over with the Goth army broken! What can I say....?🎲🎲🎲🎲🎲🎲
Finally, an update on grandson William: reorganisation of rooms has given William his own bedroom. His first priority apparently a wargames desk 'like Grandad has'!
And on the desk? The 15mm WWII tanks and vehicles he's working on at present! For ten years old I think he's doing marvellously well, but then I'm hardly neutral on this...
To finish: last weekend Matt's family were up in London celebrating Arthur's 12th birthday. Arthur and his mom Sarah were at the Spurs v Brentford game, but Matt and Reuben were sightseeing, here at the Imperial War Museum. Another WWII buff in the making I think! As I said, life's full of surprises...







No comments:

Post a Comment