David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 27 April 2024

The Crimean War Project Progress Report 2

As I promised in an earlier blog entry here is the review of the Roosian part of the project. This part is not quite as extensive in units as the British part already reported on, but still a considerable number of figures given that most of the battalions are larger in total figures if not bases. I painted my first test figure, Ivan you might recall, back in the middle of last year ~

Ivan,  a lonely test figure. But not for long...
...soon being joined by the first addition, an officer of course. You can never have too many command stands I've learned down the years!
Ivan was not lonesome for very long once I got underway! 
I tried to arrange the figures in three ranks on each base so that the columns of Roosian infantry would look dense and hopefully more threatening to the eye. I ought to get around to naming my regiments now they are done though!
The first Roosian infantry regiment to muster into GHQ.
A second command base. Officers everywhere it seems!
Once I had worked out the painting sequence it proved a little quicker to move the figures forward. The picture shows how I tried to set the figures on the bases to suggest depth and density of formation.
Another officer! Mostly harmless personages in my experience.
Some skirmisher bases from a Rifle Battalion.
Grand Duke Biklovic and staff ~ well I'm mostly expecting to be the Roosians in games.
The rest of the Rifle Battalion added later.
The third Battalion of the first Roosian infantry regiment. I realise only one flag of the four was carried into action but it just looks better with two I think.
A battery of Roosian guns...
...I borrowed two figures from the crew sets and an officer from the High Command pack to make a naval gun crew as I had a spare 64lb gun.
The fourth battalion completed the first Roosian infantry Regiment.
Onward then with the second regiment, the Jaegers...
...followed quickly by the second!
Apparently trained to fight just like the Line infantry, so based in the same way using marching poses.
To alleviate the tedium, a fripary utilising spare Roosian infantry casualty figures and a TAG Roosian Orthodox priest.
Warlord Games Roosian battery. The guns look very odd to me, but they were a gift so I painted them up!
More officers! Well, I hadn't painted any for a while!
On a roll then, a Command Stand for the Jaeger regiment using a spare Dragoon trumpeter.
The third Jaeger battalion, this time using Firing Line posed and so based in two ranks not three.
The fourth Roosian Jaeger battalion completed the regiment and used the remaining Firing Line figures, so also based in two ranks.
The Roosian infantry regiment deployed at Arzov, screened by Rifle Battalion figures based as skirmishers.
The Roosian Jaegers in action also at Arzov with the fourth battalion drawn up in line forward of the other three battalions.
I'm not sure how many Roosians I have painted to get to this stage, but the battalions average about 27 figures from memory. The two regiments then total about 212 figures I'd think. Add to that the Rifle Battalion, guns & crew, officers of course, the fripary and the High Command and it must be well over 250 figures or so. 
There remain some Roosians still lurking in the Lead Pimple in the form of Foundry Cossacks and a Perry Miniatures Cossack cart and on the painting desk some Great War Miniatures Dragoons which I've actually put paint on so they are underway! Meanwhile I've started the Royal Fusiliers, mostly in greatcoats and advancing/charging poses for a change! I've even ordered some more Great War Miniatures' figures and flags sheets from North Star!


26 comments:

  1. Some damn fine brushwork, David!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind of you Ray, I thank you sincerely for the compliment.

      Delete
  2. A fine review there David and somewhat timely, as I'm pondering getting some Roosian troops for my mid-19thC ImagiNations armies, so these pics make great reference material, as well as being lovely to look at as always. And of course I need to find a priest from somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased to have been indirectly of help with your imagination project. You are very welcome to call them Roosians if it suits.

      Delete
  3. Superb Russian Review, David. On your Foundry Cossacks, have you had issues with the tails of some of the mounts breaking off? I sure have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan. No issues with loose tails, yet...

      Delete
  4. A splendid collection and a fine summary of your thought processes and execution. I shall look forward to their next outing on the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil. I thought folk might be interested in the ideas behind the basing. Next up in GHQ though a F&IW game.

      Delete
  5. Great to see your Russian collection, a superb array of troops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A cracking collection,and some very interesting insights.
    Just the French,Turks,and Sardinians to add.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The French are in the Lead Pimple, but no plans for Turks and Sardines!

      Delete
  7. Looking good David…
    Some fine looking targets there…😈

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aly, no doubt they will learn to dodge the bullets in time 🎲🎲🎲🎲

      Delete
  8. A very business like looking force which I expect you'll be happy to command - I presume this is because you expect your chums/foes to choose to be the British. Presumably because the British has such famously clever commanders.
    I wish you joy with the collection which seems to me to have been gathered in quick time.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Stephen! I had thought I'd usually be the Roosians, but the last two times I've been Gen E.Useless in command of Victoria's little lead men!

      Delete
  9. A fine collection and more noteworthy for so much being done over a relatively short life of the project. It has been enjoyable to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm! Pleased to have got this far and for it to be well received by folk.

      Delete
  10. Impressive David shows what focus can achieve, and you have more to do !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt, it seems that OCD is not all bad news is it then?

      Delete
  11. Impressive array of troops David yet again!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very inspirational to see the results of all of your hard work! And such fine results!!
    Helps to drive us all on with our respective projects.
    Well done indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my blog has inspired one person then it's been worthwhile!

      Delete
    2. Many more than one, I would suspect 😉

      Delete
    3. I would be pleased if that were the case.

      Delete