David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 6 April 2024

'Kiltophobia'?

'Kiltophobia', is this a notifiable disease amongst wargamers I wonder? If it isn't then I'd venture to suggest it should be, closely followed by Hoseophobia! I have struggled manfully onwards with these figures for the 79th Cameron Highlanders and have completed the first base of eight figures - one sergeant and seven rankers. There are currently another 16 to go! Depressing thought that, although 8 more of those are well underway now.

I readily admit to being no more than a journeyman painter, but these figures have posed a challenge to me which I have struggled to rise to. There have been a number of issues peculiar to painting Highland regiments: obviously the kilt pattern comes first for me, followed by that of the hose and the bonnet dicing. 

The figures are cleverly sculpted in respect of the kilts, with only small areas of the front being visible thanks to the arrangement of arms/hands, sporans and equipment. When combined with my decision to 'represent' rather than accurately depict the pattern the kilt is remarkably straightforward to process. You may think it a fudge but on the table in a game will you notice or care even? I think not myself.

The bonnet dicing is much more straightforward really, unless you want to pop in the green centre of the red pattern that is. Initially I left it off, then decided to add it in, then regretted it. I simply cannot see where the point of the brush meets the figure! So, that explains no close ups of that for you! Now on to the hose, well that's an epic all on its own. Red and black seemed the most common colours in sources, but patterns varied considerably I found. I opted for a red base and black St Andrew's cross pattern. Really fiddly in retrospect and poorly executed in places, but it will have to suffice. This proved to be beyond my hand/eye issues but it's done now for good or ill. 

So, back now to those 8 figures I mentioned! I'd almost rather paint more Roosians, almost...

24 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I thank you for the support George. Is the Warton War Room up and running today?

      Delete
    2. 99.9% David, just got to organise my first game.

      Delete
    3. Saw your blog of course, it looks wonderful.

      Delete
  2. I admit I suffer from kiltophobia and trewsophobia David, which probably explains why I have never had any Scottish troops in my forces. A shame as they do add a splash of colour to the table, but at too much cost to my sanity!

    You've done a Sterling (Bridge) job on those as always David and once on the table or even arms length, they will more than past muster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splendid job, looks like tartan, looks like dicing, what more can one ask for on a 28mm figure viewed at the relative distance?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As good a fudge as I've seen! The look grand, really good work on them, they are cracking figures and you have done a great job on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed! The overall impression is nicely effective. Although I have a unit or two of kilted highlanders in the 15mm leadpile (part of a long dormant corps-level Waterloo project), I was always too intimidated by the prospect of painting the tartans to any acceptable standard. Your own brushwork looks very convincing. Well done!

    Kind Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stokes, I'm much encouraged by the responses so far. I don't know if I could do 15mm kilts either, so you are not alone.

      Delete
  6. I think they are bob on and have a really nice look. They strike me like the should be your posh chaps who always get a +1 on their die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Posh Jocks, nah! As to a +1, Grand Duke Biklovic might prefer them not to...

      Delete
  7. You've done a nice job on those David, its also good to see you've survived because hoseoecossofuruncilitis from the painting of hose can be fatal :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! I have four more almost done and a further four well underway and I'm still here!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you're making good progress - the end of the tunnel is nearer if not yet in sight - keep going - success beckons,
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The four are finished now, the next four are under the brush. The regiment's colours are fixed to the staffs. All going along gently towards the distant goal...🛣️

      Delete
  9. They look damn fine to me David…
    You will notice that I haven’t rushed to add the Highlanders to my Crimean collection… so you are a braver man than me 🤣

    Hoots…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind Aly, it's much appreciated, as is the information you sent me via WhatsApp. As to brave, it's more fools rushing in I fear. I do always like to have Scottish units if I can as I have many Jock friends and it's a nod to their and our heritage.

      Delete
  10. Another fine body of men to grace your collection. The bonnet bands,kilts,and hose all look fine to me,and are very striking en masse,which,as unit painters,is the effect we strive for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy for reminding me, and by extension the other blog visitors, that we paint units for wargames. Mustn't loose sight of that.

      Delete
  11. They look absolutely top notch to me Dave, lovely lace and banding as well, besides all of the kilt stuff! Very fine work indeed... well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such enthusiastic encouragement, it's much appreciated.

      Delete