David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 10 November 2019

Upper Canada Militia 1812

Foundry figures sculpted by Aly Morrison of course, the first of this type I’ve added to the Anglo-Canadian forces.These have been a bit of a struggle for me to be frank though as there proved to be no obvious short cuts to the finished look I wanted for them. In all they took a couple of weeks to finish to my satisfaction. The colour bearers come from the British infantry command pack and the officer from the pack of British officers and sergeants. The flags are by Flags or War and the bases from Warbases. I’m pleased by the final look of the unit, so I hope any visitors will be too ~



Next up are the bases of spare flank company figures to act as skirmish markers. Each of the three bases will be painted in the facing colours of one of the regular units serving in the Canadas at the time.
I’ve also taken the decision to have two extra regular units added to the army, again using the Foundry range. These are being painted for me by John Hill and I hope to be able to show you the both units sometime towards the end of the month, or early December at the latest. The first unit, the 1st Foot, the Royal Scots are already based and textured, awaiting static grass application and the flags fixing to the ensign figures. The second unit, the 100th Foot are even as I type under the brush.

16 comments:

  1. Looking very British David well done. I never liked the idea of dressing troops in what was effectively top hats but yours look very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd headwear I agree, but strangely appealing I find.

      Delete
  2. I'd be happy with them too if I'd painted them. Looking forward to seeing the other units.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good, but will they pull the rabbit out of the hats for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much hope not, but then they'll probably trash all before them now!

      Delete
  4. Great looking unit and very smart in their top hats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, more in the to paint pile too.

      Delete
  5. Great looking troops; love the top hats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry David...
    All the braid on show with these ones...
    You have done a fine job...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgive you, as you did them a while ago now. Glad you found my efforts satisfactory.

      Delete