David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 3 April 2022

Command Stands #1

In my opinion all armies need at least one general, even if some rules assume the great man's presence I feel he should be represented on the tabletop, and not just by one figure but by a whole group of figures! Recognising that many gamers' war chests or available impermanent table tops make vignettes such as I've been exhibiting on this blog of late difficult, we can all at least I think give our commanders a little TLC in our representation of them. Anyway, some of my efforts arranged in chronological order, more or less ~
Coronus Cunctator, overall commander of my Republican Roman army. Figures from Aventine Miniatures
Of course I didn't stop at one command stand! A sub-general for the Allied contingent, again from Aventine Miniatures.
Once I'd started it seemed futile to stop, so a command element for my Celtiberian warbands, again from Aventine Miniatures...
And a general mounted on an elephant for the Carthaginian army! The nellie is from A&A Miniatures as is the javelin armed warrior, while the general is from Crusader Miniatures.
Of course, different elements of an army can also enjoy a command presence represented here by a single mounted figure from Aventine Miniatures.

And here is in action leading the Allied Italian cavalry!

Staying with the Roman theme, but moving forward in time, my Late Roman armies are commanded by Pompus Maximus...
...Albinus, a mercenary commander who features in whichever army pays the most!
And of course, the would be usurper of the imperial purple,  Baldinus! All figures from Wargames Foundry and banners from Little Big Man.
I have a small collection of Normans and Saxons from Wargames Foundry, sculpted for them by my son Matt. You can just see Harold here behind his Huscarls.
Moving forward in time again and back to Italy with the Landscnecht general's base for my Italian Wars Papal States games with Phil's Florentines. The figures are from Warlord Games of course.
While these sub-general bases are from TAG with banners from Pete's Flags.
Cesare Borgia, the commander of my Papal army of Alexander VI, Borgia is represented by three TAG figures.
Finally reaching the C17th and home territory in the English Civil Wars we have that stout parliamentary general, Obadiah Bykleigh represented by a Warlord Games figure with my bespoke head by Matt.
More conventionally though we have Royalist general's from Wargames Foundry.
And of course, wart and all, Oliver Cromwell and staff all from Wargames Foundry once again.
I hope you found something of interest here and perhaps feel you might leave a short comment to encourage my future efforts.


16 comments:

  1. Splendid, I wonder which of those has been the most successful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil, it'd have to be old Pompus Maximus I think.

      Delete
  2. What a splendid array of commands on display there David. Hard to choose which I like the best but the Italian Wars ones keep drawing my eye back to them. Seeing these and you other postings of late does inspire me to add more 'detail' to my games, as and when the mood takes me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SteveJ, I'm glad something chimed with you and your interests. Part 2 next week I hope.

      Delete
  3. I agree with others comments.
    It's interesting to see the bringing together of figures to create a vignette around commanders. The Late romans are my favourite period here but have to echo Steve's comment that it's the Italian Wars that claim the stage.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement, it's always appreciated! Nice to know what folk enjoy the most.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful David, some lovely vignettes as us veterans are prone to call them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work and handy to have a son who can sculpt for Foundry - thats a talent that must come in useful for his dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's too busy to do stuff on the side bar my head which was a Christmas and Birthday gift!

      Delete
  6. Very nice, I too like my generals and always ask them to go that extra mile due to the care lavished on them. An excellent little series you are doing there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George, much appreciated! As ever we mostly agree on things.

      Delete
  7. Nice David ….a short comment to encourage you, as if you need it 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt, any encouragement is always welcome.

      Delete
  8. An awe-enspiring collection of command bases Dave...wonderfully presented! Enough to grace any layout. Puts mine to shame....
    Sorry if I've been a little quiet, I am now back from the land of the daffodils 🌾🌾

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul. Welcome back from Taffystan!

      Delete