David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 27 March 2022

Ticking Over Gently

 The Lead Pimple is still bare of any figures that are cleaned up and spray undercoated, a deliberate decision on my part as I'm trying to work through the accumulation of buildings and terrain bits. This last week though I did squeeze in two figures I found in one of my spares boxes ~

They are a Perry Miniatures' mounted Colonel and an Aly Morrison Sergeant Major from Foundry's War of 1812-15 range. They'll make an additional Command stand for the Anglo-Canadian army in future games. In the meantime they are the only entrants in the 'Awaiting Varnishing Pimple'!

As I mentioned previously my main painting focus, if you can call it that, has been on buildings and other terrain items. In that area over the last week I've been working on three pieces I bought from Grand Manner in their last sale: viz a roadside Icon; an old Olive Press; and lastly, a Bread Oven. They should see service in forthcoming Italian Wars and Wars of the French Revolution games here in GHQ ~


I'm pleased with the way they turned out I must admit. I painted them with Foundry paints, washing the wooden bits with Foundry's Brown Wash. The bits of basing are Country Maple from Crafter's Acrylics. Now, I'm not given to overmuch moaning, at least here on my Blog, but I do find Dave's approach to marketing his resin ranges a bit strange. I do like the things he sells, but then the insistence on usually only offering painted samples puts the already absurdly high prices totally beyond my limits! These three I purchased in his last unpainted resin pieces sale, and were therefore just this side of what I'm prepared to fork out for from my warchest. To balance this though, I will say his service and communication are first rate, the order arriving promptly and so well packed. I'd like to buy more pieces, so I suppose I must await the next sale now...we poor pensioners must count our groats after all.


12 comments:

  1. Makes perfect sense Mr.B. By stifling availability and mostly only selling painted items GM have created a Premier Brand with a price to match. Dave gets a pretty high return financially for a minimum amount of time/work invested. If he needs a few extra £s then have a sale and wait for the stampede.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The perfect example then of Rip Off Britain.

      Delete
    2. Somewhat unfair Mr.B. Unlike food, fuel & utilities you're not forced to buy GM stuff.

      Delete
    3. Needless to say I disagree with that. The price is arbitrary in my opinion, bearing no valid relation to the cost of production, a bit like figures you might say, especially plaaaastics.

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking terrain pieces David…
    It’s nice to have the option to paint them how you want…

    I’d forgotten all about that Sergeant Major…
    He’s scrubbed up well for and old fellow…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your encouragement is always welcome, thanks Aly! The range has weathered well, perhaps better than we have?

      Delete
  3. Good job Mr. B, I particularly like the finish on the GM stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work there David, both on the command stand and the various items of scenery too. Very impressive I must say:).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done David……as for price it is after all a capitalist market so if people will pay then I’m afraid that’s the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt. I recognise your point, mine is that the price is excessive, not that the firm makes a profit. They are just wargames items, not works of art after all.

      Delete