David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Friday 15 February 2019

Infantrie Regiment 113 Ogilvy

After an enforced break thanks to the dreaded man flu I’ve returned with renewed enthusiasm to my SYW expansion project with the Infantrie Regiment #113, de Ogilvy, a Scottish regiment in origin in French service. (Moral, you ask? Never trust a Jock perhaps?😉) Once again the figures are from Wargames Foundry, sold under the Casting Room Miniatures banner and sculpted by Rob Baker I believe ~

 There are a number of issues in portraying this regiment with these figures, including: the lack of a collar on the Fusileer figures; the buttons on the cuffs; the lack of a shoulder strap on most figures; and lastly the absence of lace loops on the button holes. Pretty extensive really.
Well, the buttons can be cut off if you like, the lace and shoulder straps can simply be painted on and the talented could add the collar with green stuff or similar. Me, you ask? Well, I just painted the figures as is believing that on the table in a game who will notice that? They have the splendid flags from GMB Designs, so everyone will know who they represent and we can get on with the game! Sorry if some lace freak just had a cardiac arrest, but my toys, my game of course!

Anyhow, here they are in all their, incorrect, glory for your delectation. Firstly the whole regiment lead by their mounted colonel and his pet cat, MaCavity! I know, daft, but I had the figure spare and I thought it made a change from hounds ~

A couple of closer shots to give a better idea of what they look like close up, pretty irrelevant really in the great scheme of things as we see them from several feet away during games, but I know folk like to look. Even if it’s just to see how not to do it ~


Next up will be a British addition to the SYW expansion project, the 18th Foot, the Royal Irish regiment. Again using Foundry figures and those wonderful GMB Designs Flags. This will ensure my British army has regiments from England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland and give me a sense of completion. After these are completed I have two eight figure cavalry regiments to paint, the 2nd Horse for my British and Orléans for my French. Time to buy some more figures I think...

18 comments:

  1. A great looking regiment! I really do need to get back on my SYW stuff as well and like you after a bout of man flu find myself in the mood to pick up a brush.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher. Glad you are over the worst!

      Delete
  2. Another lovely looking unit! I'm luckily not a lace counter, the mounted officer is great as is his cat(!) The standard is splendid and I think you'll find it's perfidious Albion forcing the Irish and Scots to join forces with their fellow Europeans to fight the English!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. As to treacherous Jocks, well....

      Delete
  3. I have just had the same problem with the Garde Ecossais as regards the cuffs and shoulder tabs, but I have done my best. I do agree those flags are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing your Ecossaise in due course George.

      Delete
  4. Oggy, oggy, Ogilvy. Whoops they are not Welsh are they, never mind very tasty anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you do try, I’ll give you that...it’s about Aston-level.

      Delete
  5. Thumbs up, what a splendid remiment (and uniform!)...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good choice of regiment David. I do like a mercenary foreign regiment and the Jocks fit that bill perfectly. Joking aside a lovely looking unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robbie. It was a combination of being sick of white and the lovely flags if I’m honest.

      Delete
  7. Very nice, anothe slendid unit completed🙂

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Treacherous' Jocks eh? I think you'll find its Perfidious Albion for very good reasons. There's the old sayong that Empire was one on which the sun never set, because even God didn't trust an Englishman in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What trump's a treacherous Jock? A whinging Jock of course! Lighten up, it's a wargames blog you know.

      Delete
    2. Hmmmm!
      I am sure it’s someone wearing government tartan... ;-)

      Delete
  9. A very nice unit David...
    Not really ‘Jocks’ on the make... but survivors from the 45 trying to get pay back... which it appears the didn’t...
    They do have a very nice flag...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete