David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 12 August 2018

More handgunners!

Either side of our trip to Scotland, including a visit to Claymore (see previous Blog post), I’ve been working on what is for now at least my last TAG group of figures for our Italian Wars project, in this case a base of handgunners for my contingent of Landsknechts. As with all my earlier work on the TAG figures, they are easy to paint - for Landsknechts that is!

As far as the project goes at present I shall be left with a base of Landsknecht halberdiers and a third base of Pikemem to complete. These are some Warlord and Foundry/early Citadel figures I picked up for a song back in June at Barrage in Stafford. The latter are lovely figures, full of detail and life and, in my opinion, far better than the more recent work by the sculptors.

When these are completed it will be back to the C18th in the shape of my AWI additions, alternating with my remaining figures for my Wars of the French Revolution project. If all goes well all of this will be interspersed with my Palazzo for the Borgias MDF project! Well, we can plan, at least for now... You never know, but purchases at The Other Partizan may derail all of that!

18 comments:

  1. Most excellent curvy based loveliness! I haven't been to Claymore for years and am away for t'other Partizan. Border Reiver is next for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. Enjoy your day out at Border Reiver.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful looking base of handgunners David!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which rules are you using again David? I have yet to find a set that captures the feel of the Spanish Colunellas. Of course I am probably looking too deeply into the way they fought.Grat looking figures by the way, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A mash up of Neil Thomas’s A&M and P&S with our own additions. Early days yet though.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful looking handgunners!

    ReplyDelete
  5. More handgunners! I had better get painting :~)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love the curvy bases and basing !
    Beautifull painting also !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely, any tips on SYW buildings David?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George. For SYW buildings I chose from the Hovels European range, old but good and reasonably priced.

      Delete
  8. Lovely unit. I await your first battle eagerly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are behind the times. See crossing the Po.

      Delete
  9. Great looking handgunners! Looking forward to the papal Rennaisance palace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Iain. The Palazzo is a long term project. I hope to complete it for Christmas.

      Delete