David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Tuesday 7 August 2018

I have been to...

...Claymore, Scotland’s premier wargames show. Always high on my list of favourite shows to attend I must sadly admit to being a tad disappointed this year. Perhaps I should rephrase that on reflection, a tad less impressed than I expected might be better. The show seemed less crowded, bar the Bring & Buy, and we’ll pass quickly by the stench I encountered on my sole brief visit, and there seemed less of a buzz around the games than usual. Of course, that could just be an impression gained by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, I’ll never know.
Nevertheless I enjoyed my day. I met good friends, I bought most of the things on my list, I did see some games I liked and I chatted with several traders, some who I seem to have known forever! I’ve decided not to include a full picture report, most folk will have seen many pictures already, so here are three of the Iron Brigade’s alternative Zorndorf game featuring Kevin’s Prussians, mostly from Calpe with some Front Rank support, and Peter’s Russians, all admirably supervised by Emma - hope your exam results went well today!
I always enjoy seeing the Iron Brgade’s games. They deserve a far wider audience in my opinion. They are beautifully presented and full of interesting extras, vignettes, scenics and the like. Their game came second in the Demonstration Games section of the show awards. They was robbed if you ask me! Meanwhile, by way of a change, The Redoubt Castle Hotel in Bonnyrigg, our basefor our stay. Quite wonderful, highly original and the warmest welcome we’ve ever received anywhere. Highly recommended if you’re ever that way.
Next up for me as far as shows go will hopefully be The Other Partizan, one of the other highlights of my wargames show year which I always look forward to. You’ll probably have noticed by the by that I’ve no swag picture. Why, you ask? Well, I bought one figure and heaps of MDF building kits and extras, not exactly photogenic, oh and the Wargamers’ Annual 2018. I hope my TOP swag will be more diverse, we’ll see. Meanwhile, back to painting Landsknechts!






12 comments:

  1. Thanks for kind comments about our game Dave, proved very popular and we ended up spending all day in conversation with people and were unable to play a single turn!
    Good to see you looking so well,enjoy partizan.
    Kev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a pleasure to meet up with you again Kevin, even more if it coincides with one of your outstanding games! I will do my best to enjoy Partizan in a couple of weeks.

      Delete
  2. That was a splendid looking game. Stench? I can only imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was simply the best George. The same not true though of the B&B ambiance.

      Delete
  3. I never seem to get the diary organised and Claymore keeps clashing with other holiday commitments. Will,do better next year, either of the Partizans would be good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised you didn’t make it Matt. I hope to be at Carronade next May with Phil, perhaps our paths will cross there again?

      Delete
  4. I used to attend Claymore and put a game on every year. That was when it was based in the city at Adam House which was a great venue if a little difficult to negotiate up the floors. When it moved to Meadowbank I thought it was okay but a couple of years ago I attended the new venue and thought it was now a shadow of its former self. The taxi to the venue didnt help. I also found the place seemed to trap the heat, unusual in Scotland.I know from other reports that numbers appeared down. It could be the weather, holidays or perhaps its the actual venue and its location. Anyway like yourself I will be attending Partizan to see what game eye candy is on show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to explain how or why shows wax and wane, but I hope it will be on the rise again next year as it’s amongst my favourite events. Meanwhile, hope to finally meet you in person next weekend!

      Delete
  5. Lovely looking game, nice looking hotel, pity about the show,have fun with your landsknechts, I've been prepping steel fist gendarmes,fiddly beggars, still puts off painting landsknechts I guess!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m coming to the conclusion that almost anything is better than painting Landsknechts.

      Delete
  6. Good to see you on Saturday. See you again at the Other Partizan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grand to see you and Katherine at Claymore too! See you in a week at TOP I hope!

      Delete