David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 4 May 2017

Hors de Combat!

I have been for another cortisone injection in my right hip area as walking has become increasingly both painful and difficult these last few weeks, not to mention a couple of minor falls along the way. As Sue and I are off on a small ship cruise along the Dalmatian Coast at the start of June it's really important to me that I'm in as good a knick as possible! To that end I've also been following a weight reduction programme and have shed 1 stone 5 1/4 lbs so far. Keeping busy has helped a lot there, especially in the painting department! Which brings me nicely to today's offering: a Dixon Miniatures ACW Reb unit, the 10th Georgia, and the French Command group from Redoubt Enterprises for my F&IW Sharp Practice project ~










When Duncan was editing Wargames Illustrated he used to tease me good naturedly about being the High Priest of Dixon Miniatures but I really do think them the most characterful, animated and comprehensive range for the period in 28mm. I also know they are like Marmite to wargamers with others unable to comprehend my judgement! Each to their own of course, but for me the wonderful faces make each one a unique personality, not to mention that the hair is just right also!



















































Redoubt Enterprises too are another company who from time to time enjoy a mixed reputation amongst gamers, mainly when the issue of worn molds and miscasting issues arise. I have myself suffered slightly from the odd figure which simply wasn't up to snuff, but I have always found Trevor and Sue willing and able to put things right straight away. The joy for me of their F&IW figures is that I can clearly see the details and that the figures seem to love the paint job, just like Pulp Figures do for example. Given my problem with arthritis in my right hand and the occasional uncooperative eye these are important considerations to the 'geriatric gamer in waiting'!
















Now, back to the next batch of ACW ragged Rebs from Dixon Miniatures. Its such a pleasure for a change after all these years to paint just what takes my fancy...

14 comments:

  1. Very nicely done David! Not a fan of Dixon miniatures(heads just too big imho), but Redoubt I do really like and consider their ACW range the best out there and also really enjoy their F&IW range.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Redoubt ACW fine from neck down but awful heads, no character or features.

      Delete
    2. I suppose that's where the marmite thing comes in as I think both the heads and body of the Redoubt figures are chalk full of character.

      Christopher

      Delete
    3. Indeed it does Christopher. I have a few Redoubt generals and a few infantry but with Dixon head swaps!

      Delete
  2. I like Dixon ACW and FRW. Not overly keen on Redoubt apart from some of their odds n ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sound chap there! Is the ship afloat yet?

      Delete
  3. Nicely (or should I say scruffilly) turned out Rebs there Mr. B and the Frenchies will certainly do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks muchly old bean. How was the dentist today?

      Delete
  4. Does "Hors de Combat" mean having to grapple women who sell their bodies for money?

    Inquisitively yours,

    Chris Johnson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That raised a smile, so thanks Chris.

      Delete
  5. Great figures........no real experience of Dixon.....but I have quite a few Reduobt French Indian war and agree they are in the main great 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How have you reached 21 without any experience of Dixon figures? Amazing? I knew the north was deprived, but not that much...

      Delete
  6. Very nicely done, lovely figures...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. Really enjoying painting these figures after a long break.

      Delete