David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 20 June 2024

A Small Tribute

I enjoy tatting with peripheral pieces for my wargames projects, I find it disrupts the tedium inherent in painting both armies for a project. You may recall that around the turn of the year I showed two such friparies for the Crimean War project utilising spare figures and a TAG Orthodox priest in one instance and two Warlord Games Russian 12lb guns and crew with the second priest. Thanks to Phil while I was down in Cornwall I was able to take advantage of the post free offer from Warbases to acquire a van and draught horse. 

As I expect you will recall I had assembled a photographer and subjects from the odd figures in the Prodigal Foundry Collection, so it had been on my mind to sometime add a Photographic Van to the collection in tribute to Roger Fenton's pioneering work in the Crimea ~

This image of Fenton's photographic van gave me the idea originally. As you will all know I'm not overly gifted in the modelling department, so a scratch built copy was out of the question. Instead I painted up the Warbases generic van kit and added a graphic I had knocked up on Word. It seemed appropriate to me by this vignette to also pay homage to a contemporary well known photographer of wargames miniatures.  So here is the photographic van of one D. Faulconbridge Esq, intrepid traveller and expert photographer of wargames figures far and wide ~
I'm off down to Herefordshire this weekend to visit with Matt and his family. No doubt we shall chew the fat on all things family and hobby, so I'm hoping that I will come home fully refreshed and eager to press on with my Eureka Miniatures Cossack Scouts and First Aid vignettes!


18 comments:

  1. Nifty addition to battlefield detritus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nifty, now there's a word you don't hear often.

      Delete
    2. Well, it made it through the censors.

      Delete
    3. No reason why it shouldn't, it's just a word less used I guess.

      Delete
  2. A splendidly turned out rendition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such a positive endorsement, have you been at the vino?

      Delete
  3. Very nice little vignette, really works well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An excellent addition to the collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very nice simple but effective model David,,,
    I shall put this in the ‘steal that idea later’ section.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome to steal the idea Aly, though I anticipate your version putting mine in the shade...

      Delete
  6. Lovely work on that van and a nice tribute to Fenton:).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you SteveJ, appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, I have one of those in 15mm for the New York Herald 1860’s. Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George! Trip going well, self otherwise.

      Delete
  9. Brilliant!! I love it! A splended piece from an inventive mind👍 I'm sure Dan will be impressed....

    ReplyDelete