David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 18 November 2021

SYW French Infantry ~ the Gardes Lorraine

 

The inspiration for my latest addition to my SYW French Army comes from the print opposite. Most other sources I have to admit show a blue coat with only the musicians sporting coats in the livery of the Duc de Lorraine. Browsing the blogs of fellow gamers however is revealing, showing that they too have outfitted the entire regiment in this style. After all, my toys in my game seems a common theme, so Lace Fanatics should probably wander off and look elsewhere...

As with the bulk of my SYW collection the figures I utilised in depicting the Gardes Lorraine are from the Casting Rooms Miniatures branch of Wargames Foundry, sculpted I believe by Rob Baker. There are basically three packs of figures: a Command pack of 6 pieces; an infantry marching pack of 8 figures; and lastly, a Character pack of 6 figures. As in all my French Regiments bar one I supplemented these with a Mounted Colonel from the pack of three ~

In painting these I chose to use the Foundry Ochre base and mid for the coats, finding the yellow triad a bit insipid really. In the flesh the coats look much lighter than in these photos, you'll have to trust me on that. The flags are from GMB Designs, the finials from Front Rank and the bases from Warbases.

I've just completed the first four figures of a second French infantry regiment, the Royal Baviere. I'd hope to have the regiment finished by next week if possible.

22 comments:

  1. Gosh David, they look sensational. A lovely flock of canaries!!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind James, much appreciated.

      Delete
  2. I think you made the right choice in going with the yellow coats David, as they look brilliant! Certainly not something you would normally see on a table. Looking forward to seeing how they fare in action:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Striking colours, I wonder if it was a gala uniform for when they were guarding the King of Poland?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we will never know, but a plausible thought.

      Delete
  4. A splendid addition which having seen them the photos does not do justice to. It will be grand to see a unit of custard men grace the table again🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Custard Men! I had forgotten them. I wonder where they are now?

      Delete
  5. Very nice, they do remind me of another miniature manufacturer, such as Trent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a distinctive style that is true.

      Delete
  6. Very nice, still waiting to start my own reinforcements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure though they will muster in shortly George at your rate of knots.

      Delete
  7. Very nice job Dave. Always nice to throw in something a little different to enhance the overall look of your army.
    Adds interest, and looks great! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the positive response Paul. Perhaps we could try to meet up in GHQ, in the new year, as I'm pretty much booked up at present.

      Delete
  8. That certainly would be something to look forward to Dave. The busy seasons upon us all once again over the next few weeks, but we could definatly sort something out once you feel ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will get together in the New Year then, Malarky permitting of course...😕

      Delete
  9. Hello Dave
    Good initiative to represent this regiment in this colors.
    You are not really wrong. Indeed during the war of succession of Austria 1740-1748, the regiment of the Lorraine guards carried this color well. In addition, during the same period, two Lorraine regiments: the Royal Lorraine and the Royal Barrois, also wore these colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to be encouraged, so thanks!

      Delete
  10. Well these gents will have no problem standing out on the field of battle! Well done David.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher, much appreciated. The Royal Baviere infantry are almost finished now too.

      Delete
  11. Very nice David I had spotted this post 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! Much appreciated as always.

      Delete