David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 15 December 2018

20th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry

My real passion, if I can say I have one as a wargamer, has been the American Civil War almost since I first got into this hobby. In my time I have owned three collections of both factions in the conflict: a 15mm Minifigs collection; a 25mm Minifig collection; and, lastly, a 28mm Dixon Miniatures collection. Even with my larger table in GHQ Mk2, I have more figures than can be accommodated in any game, so why I have bought more figures is a source of some concern, but buy three more regiments worth of Infantry I did last year! Madness, I know... Of course they are all Dixon Miniatures, quite simply in my view the most characterful and comprehensive range on the market, I just enjoy painting them! Well, one of those three new purchases has had its moment in the sun and reached the painting desk! A Union Regiment, the 20th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, Flags From Redoubt Enterprises ~



The 20th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, known as the "Harvard Regiment", served in the Union army in the ACW. The regiment gained its nickname because the officers of the 20th were young Harvard graduates. In addition some of the private soldiers had attended Harvard. Perhaps it’s most well know member as far as wargamers are concerned was Oliver Wendell Holmes, later a Supreme Court Justice. The 20th was organized in August 29 to September 4, 1861. After training they left for Washington DC on September 4. They would fight until the war's conclusion; being mustered out on July 16 and discharged July 28, 1865. With the exception of First Bull Run the 20th participated in all of the major battles and many of the smaller battles fought by the Army of the Potomac from Balls Bluff on October 21, 1861 through the Seven Day’s, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Spotsylvania Court House, Petersburg and finally theAppomatox Campaign.
Painting is restricted just now by caring for Sue and necessary domestic duties, compounded by the pre-Christmas crush. I'm pleased to say Sue is progressing well! In the circumstances I'm pleased to have completed these. I've also just started some Foundry SYW British infantry to represent the 23rd Foot.

22 comments:

  1. Lovely looking union troops, nice flag,I'm glad the patient is getting better!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent job on the figs. I do agree about the character of the Dixon figs. Hope you and yours have a great holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb painting and flags, excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They have come out rather well David...
    Three standards... I like that.
    I am glad to hear that Sue is on the mend... and let’s be honest a bit of washing up is a fair price to pay for the welfare of your loved ones...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Aly. Back to the chores now!

      Delete
  5. Yes very nice.....I too like the three standards adding some variety. I have an idea to paint some mounted officers to fit into units to give some minor variety. Just about to post my latest unit too 2nd Wisconsin 🙂 ps might be just me but your txt is all highlighted ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger playing silly b*ggers again I'm afraid, but glad you liked my efforts.

      Delete
  6. Lovely... like their characterful faces...

    PS. Not just Matt..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve! See above for explanation.

      Delete
  7. Three standards? What a good idea David, I think I will have to do something like that as it looks great. Im not a great lover of Dixon figures but then I used their landsneckt pikemen originally which were ridiculous figures. These ACW are definitely better with decent faces.So well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have painted a few of those myself so know what you mean. But for the ACW Dixon simply ticks all the boxes, for me anyhow.

      Delete
  8. Very nice Union troops, David. It's great to see you continue your passion for the period.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fine looking regiment David applying wargamers logic the most sound of them all I see absolutely nothing wrong with painting more then you need and anyone who says different are just haters.:-)

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher, cannot fault your logic.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. See you later this morning!

      Delete
  11. Very good, the three flags is completely new to me, interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me too George, found them while browsing Body's Flags on Redoubt stand at a show and thought it would make a change.

      Delete