David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Friday 20 July 2018

La locanda del Bougainvillea...

...and the completed Landsknecht pike block. Really all this wonderful, warm and sunny weather is not much conducive to sitting at the painting desk but I have managed to make some progress despite all this. Firstly I’ve finished the second building for our Italian Wars project, again made up from Warbases’ Modular Buildings and extras. It uses three components: the two storey and longer single storey building and the Portico addition piece. Again, the pan tiled roof sections are from Wills railway scenics range of plastic sheeting. The bespoke base was cut from 3mm MDF by Warbases for all my Italian Wars Buildings. The Bougainvillea adorning the end wall is made from Jarvis climbing plant sections, as on the farm I featured earlier, with flowering areas by a rubberised colour scatter I bought a while back from Mutineer Miniatures. I need some scenic additions, but have nothing suitable in the ‘Useful Bits’ box!

Secondly, I’ve completed the additional Landsknecht pikemen I bought from Warlord Games at the Barrage show recently. They were added to the front of the base of figures to make the pike block more convincing on the tabletop.

Ongoing work besides these are a unit of the 19th Dragoons for my French army from the Revolutionary War project. These are Trent Miniatures of course, sculpted by my son Matt early in his career. While I’m not entirely unbiased you understand, I prefer his sculpting style to that of the more recent sculptor, but I recognise that it’s all a matter of taste. So far I’ve completed two Dragoons but have much of the basics on the remaining six which I hope to finish this month.

Besides this unit I’ve two others by the same manufacturer in the painting queue: a unit of eight British Light Dragoons and another of six Scots Greys, for which I’m STILL waiting for the long promised Command figures! Other figures actually on the painting desk are a unit of 10 Landsknecht handgunners by TAG and a third Landsknecht pike block of 18 figures by Warlord Games and Wargames Foundry. After those are done I’ve three units from Foundry for my expansion of the AWI game: two of Continental Infantry and one of British Regulars. There are also some Light Dragoons somewhere from the Perry Miniatures stable. somewhere near the bottom of the pile are three units of Dixon ACW Union Infantry, which I will get around too, just not yet...

18 comments:

  1. take your painting table outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not practical I’m afraid, just too much to manage.

      Delete
  2. Fine work there Mr.B, you have a fountain to now of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PJR! Look forward to carrying my fountain off tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. A lot of painting coming up. I have slowed right down at the moment, as you say, too hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So long as it doesn’t overwhelm me I’m ok with the Lead Pimple’s size.

      Delete
  4. Command figures for the Trent Scots Greys would be rather handy I agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, though I’m not holding my breath you understand.

      Delete
  5. Great work all around David you are really moving this project along.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher, I do enjoy the figures.

      Delete
  6. Cracking looking building, looking for some extra's for my Haitian stuff and this could perfect.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my ideas from Olicanalad’s Blog.

      Delete
  7. Great looking building and lovely looking landsknechts!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. The portico and the long building look really good together, useful for quite a few scenario's and periods. Adding the tall building breaks the rectangular outline again making the whole structure more aesthetically pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely looking building David...

    And those Landsknecht look suitably stabby...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m gratified that you like the building. For the record the Landsknechts have already stabbed me, several times!

      Delete