David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 28 May 2017

The Grand Old Duke of York...

...is now ready to command His Majesty's forces in Flanders and the Low Countries. I received the newish Trent Miniatures from Duncan just after Partizan ~ the Duke of York and General Abercrombie. Now they are painted up I've cannibalised my old command base and used a Trent British officer, painted as a Royal Artillery officer, and the Irish Militia officer, to which I added 'my head' as sculpted by my son Matt (see earlier posts). The resulting base will command my British army in my Wars of the French Revolution games ~















































I'm quite pleased by the overall look and composition of the command vignette myself, but no doubt others will have their view. The other figure from the cannibalised base I've repurposed as a Brigade Commander, so no waste there. I think the sculptor captured the profile of the Duke quite well.

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Indeed it is, though I say so myself!

      Delete
  2. Very nice indeed. Where's the hill?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smashing!
    That's excellent work, in both painting and context. Now you're going to have to put that head in all your armies - a sort of blackadder through the ages!

    The horse sculpts are very grand, may have to get some for repurposing myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Purp S, but you are behind the times. You can find Obadiah Bykleigh in the ECW, Useless S Bykleigh, Jubal E Bykleigh, and J.E.B.Bykleigh in the ACW. I have two more heads to work with on other projects, but no suitably rotund figures yet!

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking command stand David!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these little vignettes, they really set the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a splendid vignette David, wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely command stand, lots of character!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smashing!
    That's excellent work, in both painting and context. Now you're going to have to put that head in all your armies - a sort of blackadder through the ages!

    goldenslot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked my efforts. See above reply for existing characters.

      Delete