David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Wednesday 17 January 2018

Making a slow start.

I've made a bit of a start on my part of our Italian Wars project. So far it consists of a minor Command base and a base of Swordsmen, with a second such base underway. I've nothing else undercoated for painting yet, as we are waiting on the bases to be cut to our specification by Warbases. My Papal Army of Pope Alexander VI is based around The Assault Group's Papal Army Offer, supplemented by various extra bases. I joined their Membership Scheme for a year to get 10% off any orders I made and free postage, making a decent saving on my initial and subsequent orders. I've supplemented these with some Warlord/Pro Gloria figures for my second pike block and with some extra Gendarmes from Wargames Foundry. I also picked up a very large gun from a Trader at Wargamer last month from the old Games Workshop Empire range. The clerical element was provided from Perry Miniatures and some hand gunners from Front Rank.
The TAG nucleus of the Army of Pope Alexander VI
The first base I painted was three figures from Casting Room Miniatures which Phil gave me, together with a figure he'd already painted, as a bit of a guide I think ~

The first base of Swordsmen consist of a mix of manufacturers: three from Warlord/Pro Gloria; one from TAG and one from Foundry ~

When our custom bases arrive I shall be able to spray undercoat more figures and box them up ready for transfer to the painting desk when their moment in the sun arrives... In the meantime, back to the 23rd Foot in the AWI for now!


16 comments:

  1. Cesare's army was an interesting mix of his own mercenaries and the 'loan' of French troops. My favourites remain his Romagnol militia, not the best but very colourful in their red and white liveries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They may appear in due course, as red and white is a good choice for me too.

      Delete
  2. A nice couple of months worth of painting to be done there I see Pope D ;~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will look forward to this project. Yet another period which calls to me. Great start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to seeing this project develop. Great period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowly, only slowly, so I hope you’ll not be disappointed.

      Delete
  5. Great job! Looking forward to continue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I’ll do my best not to disappoint.

      Delete
  6. Well that should keep you busy David!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow a whole new unpainted project....good job you have time on your hands 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slips through your fingers so easily though this timey-wimey stuff I find.

      Delete
  8. Nice project! I find the Irregular guns for this period give you a nice variation from the foundry ones and the hinchcliffe ones are good too.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your post about guns Iain, interesting. I shall see where we go with this over the months but I already have 3 guns of different sizes/calibers.

      Delete