David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 23 September 2017

Light Infantry Regiment von Proxzi...

...an addition to my Hanoverians in the Wars of the French Revolution project. There is a bit of a story to their evolution for deployment in GHQ if you'll bear with me. You may have seen amongst recent posts that I've been seeking out uniform illustrations on the net via Google searches, motivation for which came from another wonderful gift from my son Matthew. He and his family have sold their house in Godalming and are moving the Herefordshire. In the sorting out Matt found many castings of figures he'd sculpted, some of which were not released for one reason or another. They turned out to mostly be Trent Miniatures and I was able to share them with my friend Colin Ashton ( of Carryings on up the Dale fame!) I kept these Lombard figures and some others as I hoped to use them to 'represent by proxy' some of the small Chasseurs units attached to the British army in Flanders from 1792-95, along with some Hanoverian Light Infantry. These Hanoverian Light Infantry should look like this ~























At least the two figures on the left that is. Using the Trent Miniatures Lombard Legion figures to stand in for them produces this unit ~




















Straight away I can sense those sad types who count buttons taking a sharp intake of breath before having me drummed out of the Napoleonic Forum on Facebook! Yes, I know they are wrong on several counts, but on the table from 3' or more away I don't think anyone will notice or care. The general look of the unit will be sufficient and I know all my gaming chums will accept my deployment of these troops without hesitation. Now, should they have a drummer? A standard? A Pavarotti tribute act as Colonel? I don't know on the first two counts and I don't care on the third! They will do! And, remember, they have cost me nothing!

I've also completed six other figures from the same range. They will stand in for the Damas Legion Chasseurs, in Black Powder terms a 'Small Unit'. I plan to add some Hussars of the Damas Legion, using unreleased Chasseurs figures, again the uniforms on the figures will be close enough for me, and some Hussars de Beon, both small units again. It will bring both colour and fun to our games. Staying on the Wars of the French Revolution theme I'm currently painting my Eureka Austrian Hussars, I've already finished four; they have turned out to be much more straightforward to paint than I feared!.













Finally, and completely unrelated to any of this, a 2" mortar from Warlord Games for my VBCW project. It was free, sent along with some missing tripods from the BEF set. I've rendered it as a civilian with military equipment; worked quite well I thought. No No2 of course, but I'll let that pass for now ~
















Back to those Hussars now! Toodle pip!

8 comments:

  1. Very nice additions. I like them alot. The Hannoverians especially. Your singing Colonel obviously has an Italian relative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the endorsements Colin, much appreciated! I suppose my Colonel may have an Italian grandmother?

      Delete
  2. As the the tenor would sing, They'llllllllll, dooooooooooooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work, David. Lovely article in the latest WI too.

    Best wishes

    Giles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much on both counts Giles. It's nice to know someone enjoys my efforts in print as well as in paint. I find your AWI stuff a constant inspiration.

      Delete
  4. Nice looking light infantry types, close enough is good enough in my book and at the perfect price!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, on both counts of course. Can't beat the price I have to agree!

      Delete