David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Monday 22 May 2017

The Great Panjamdrum...

...and other bits and bobs. A bit of a mixed bunch marched across my painting desk and deployed to GHQ this last week, perhaps most unusual from my point of view was Warlord GamesThe Great Panjamdrum which I ordered from them at Carronade, arriving on Thursday. Its one of the new releases to support their Campaign Sea Lion theatre book which I discussed in an earlier post. The set consists of an MDF and card kit to make up two rocket propelled wheels and and an obligatory boffin. The kit punches out easily and fits together well thanks to a clear illustrated instruction sheet. I made up one wheel for now until we can try it out in a game.






















By way of a contrast I've also completed the four missing Elite Company figures for my Foundry early FRW unit in helmets, a command base for my FRW French Light Cavalry, the 1st Maryland for the ACW, by Dixon Miniatures of course, and six Rebs by Dixon Miniatures to bring another Georgia unit up to strength, though I'm waiting on the two colour bearers I need to finish the unit off completely ~ I took advantage of their free postage on orders over £20 and also sent for a Union unit in kepi, they will form the 20th Massachusetts, the Harvard Regiment. I got the colours from Redoubt at Partizan ~ I also got the flag for the Georgia troops I mentioned, as well as two sets to reflag the remainder of my Union Colored Troops ~


























































Other odds and sods are the free Winston figure (in the first picture) with the Campaign Sea Lion book and the first of my Ghurkas for our Burma '43 games. Other projects on the go include
converting a Scaledale barn into a country garage for VBCW games as well as cleaning up and undercoating my Eureka Miniatures for the FRW project. The Lead Pimple is growing again...and grew some more as a result of the visit to Partizan!














The Partizan swag: three building packs from Warbases, along with assorted bases and movement trays of course; pikes, brushes and Basetex from Coritani; a gun rig from Warfare Minatures; two F&IW figure packs and the aforementioned flags from Redoubt Enterprises; the British High Command from the new Perry Egypt 1801 range, to do service in my FRW games in Flanders from Dave Thomas; Gamers' Grass Tufts from Great Escape Games; and finally, from Warlord Games, 
the new LDV Section, the Blacker Bombard and the BEF Command Group. I enjoyed great discounts from every company bar one; I wonder if you can guess which it was...? I enjoyed my truncated day at the show, we left early and arrived late due to family commitments at home, hence no pictures to show for my visit. I did though have time to chat with friends, Colin Jack from the SESWC, Colin Ashton from Carryings On Up the Dale blog, Trevor from Redoubt and Aly Morrison from Great War Miniatures. Good company, good games, great traders and lots of new toys: what could be better for a geriatric in waiting gamer ?

12 comments:

  1. You bought more than me then :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, why do I find that so hard to believe?

      Delete
  2. Newly painted units look great David and your haul should keep you busy for a bit.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher! I hope to plod through the Lead Pimple over the coming months.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful figures David!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A finly turned out lot of many and varied items there, you kept them under your hat yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually they were in a box on the floor of GHQ right next to you. Shows the state we were both in postPartizan!

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed your article in the latest wargames mag. As a follow Walsall fan I can quite easily understand your reluctance to deploy any characters from the Molineux custard bowl. Regarding adding Polish figures to the tabletop, have you considered Dutch troops? The Princess Irene Brigade were garrisoned in Wolverhampton during the war and a fair number remain, interned at the Jeffcock Road Cemetery.

    There are several figures available:
    http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/May-40-Miniatures

    Regards,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt! An interesting idea, but as I now have a bus courtesy of Derek I thought some drivers/conductors/mechanics might be a possibility - when I've done the new LDV figures though...

      Delete
  6. Glad you had a good time. I certainly did.

    I don't wish to intrude, but I have taken the plunge into blogging and would be grateful if you could take a look when you have a mo and any comments or hints would be most welcome.
    http://keithfmassey.blogspot.co.uk/
    Cheers
    Keith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a look Keith but wasn't able to post a comment. It looks like a good start though to your career as a Blogger!

      Delete