David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Monday 22 May 2017

Dipping the toes...

...into Sharp Practice 2 in the F&IW. As I mentioned a while ago I've expanded my F&IW collection to enable us to dabble in the F&IW using these rules. Phil and I had our first run out on Monday, perhaps not the best choice of timing as we were both rather tired after our busy Sunday. We decided to concentrate on mastering the mechanisms of play so set up a Raid scenario, with a French force of Regulars supported by Indians and Coureurs du Bois, attacking across a stream to burn and pillage the Robinson homestead. The Homestead was defended by two groups of Civilians and two groups of Robinson's Rangers, supported by British Regulars and a group of Light Infantry. We set a limit of 12 Turns and just got them in either side of lunch. The table ~
















As we were tying to give full attention to the rules and working out what to do I only took one other photo during the game ~
















We both enjoyed our first experience of the rules. Phil as the British lost four points and I lost 3 off our  respective Force Morale ratings, but as neither of us achieved our objective we settled on a draw at the end. We really felt that there was a story clearly unfolding in front of us as we played. As the game progressed we found ourselves using more complex arrangements for our Leaders and making better use of the Command Cards. Managing our Shock Points also came more naturally as the game wore on, though shooting left a lot to be desired generally by both sides! The Dice Gods are not fooled by a new game...

I bought a pack of Woodsmen and another pack of Indians, with knives and clubs, from Redoubt at Partizan to boost the French forces and when they have been painted we'll try a second game and see how we go. In the meantime, the next game here in GHQ should be against Jon next week on my birthday. We've not settled on a choice of game as yet, so it will come as a nice surprise to you and to me equally. Toodle Pip!

14 comments:

  1. Nice looking game....very interested to see how they play. Have used Musket and Tomahawks for my FIW which has many good aspects but a few faults as well. By the way I loved your two WI articles. I am determined to upgrade all my VBCW flags. The Indian Mutiny stuff is really inspirational but I'm not starting another genre yet😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't abide M&T myself. SP2 seems promising. Glad you enjoyed my articles, as it happens I sent another in today for comment. No new period, yet..... I've heard that somewhere before.

      Delete
  2. A fine game and most enjoyable, even though it was not the best Timing to start a new set of rules has you say, though playing CoC and T t B & t M helped with the basics I think. Looking forward to the next outing of SP 2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not before July I would think Phil, but you never know.

      Delete
  3. Looks very nice. I'm tempted to give the rules a go but am not in a hurry to just yet as bigger projects have precedence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, bigger projects and you do seem to go together Colin.

      Delete
  4. Very fine looking game David! I have the SP2 rules, but haven't given them a try yet. Hopefully I'll get to it this year sometime.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We enjoyed our first run through of SP2, as I think you can tell, so will have a second go in the not too distant future.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely set up, I do like the idea of this period but I am now officially bankrupt with the holiday coming up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Draw more maps! Well, it may help the war chest to recover...

      Delete
  6. I loved your two WI articles. I am determined to upgrade all my VBCW flagoldenslot
    gs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. It's always interesting to hear what readers think.

      Delete