David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 23 August 2018

The beginnings of my Palazzo project

Now, please don’t any of my loyal readers get carried away and expect this to be completed next month, this is a long term effort in support of out Italian Wars project. I plan to build a centre piece for the games in the shape of a Palazzo typical of the period but suitable for the rigours of the wargames table . My days of scratch building, such as they were, are long gone so for this project I shall be using commercially available MDF kits from a number of manufacturers.
From my favourite supplier in the field, Warbases, I shall be using their Modular Buildings and Extras; from Charlie Foxtrot a Renaissance tower; from Sally Forth a basic Tower with Italianate crenellations; from Sarissa a plinth from the Gangs of Rome series; from Foundry the Roman figure to proxy a statue; from Wills the plastic sheets of pantiles; and finally, from Supreme Littleness Designs the ornate widow. In addition Martin at Warbases cut me the 3mm MDF base and supplied some Roman stone window surrounds not usually available separately. I’ve taken some pictures of the probable layout, including a plan view which I hope will give an idea of the final piece ~
The defensive tower and side gate
A view of the living accommodation 
A plan view






20 comments:

  1. It will be great when painted !
    Gold idea the statue on the middle le the yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When hits the nail right on the head though...

      Delete
  2. Sembra già alto Roberto the Builder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roberto will need to be on double time I fear...

      Delete
  3. Looks already like a cool set up so when it's all painted up that will be quite impressive I would imagine!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will be a fantastic center piece when you finish it,its a really nice plan and a great combination of varied manufacture!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I shall need lots of encouragement on this!

      Delete
  5. A lovely piece of real estate sir...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, I hope it will prove a good project and not a lead weight...

      Delete
  6. An idea I must pinch for my French Rev Wars in Northern Italy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And no doubt yours will be finished long before mine!

      Delete
  7. Very nice, I like the way you get all this stuff to work together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit to being pleased that the pieces gelled better than I feared, though the tower will need some corrective work to fit the corner better.

      Delete
  8. A great project and a wonderful job so far, love the statue and the defensive tower...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil! The tower has already changed, I’ve added windows and doors and an outside staircase. The front elevation has been textured too but I ran out of filler!

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful piece of kit. I hope you do get it done pretty soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, I shall do my best when circumstances permit you may be sure.

      Delete