David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 18 February 2018

Romagnol Pikemen

I have completed my first unit of Italian pikemen for my Italian Wars project. They are figures from TAG, all lovely sculpts and very easy to paint with such clear details and sharp casting. They are inspired by Robbie Roddis’s own rendition of the unit, which you can see over on his blog ~
http://wargamingtheborgias.blogspot.co.uk/
You’ll need to locate the post in question from the side bar of Popular Posts, clue: it has the same title as my post here!
The flags are from Pete’s Flags via eBay and represent great value for money. There are a fair number to choose from I found for my army, you can’t have too many really in this project in my view. Many may be conjectural and no doubt some button counters will need a safe space, but these are toys in a game, no more, no less, so they will do nicely for me. Next up a base of mounted crossbowmen followed by a base of foot crossbowmen. If time permits before 10 Match and my Date with Destiny I shall try to do a base of Papal Guard. We shall see ~




















19 comments:

  1. You fair cracking on with these David....
    Lovely toys...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just so painter friendly, just fight for me now. Far better than the over fussy Perry Miniatures.

      Delete
  2. Impressive pikemen, and flags, a wonderful job David!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, Flags by Pete’s Flags via eBay.

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to see this project develop David
    Well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope you won’t be disappointed.

      Delete
  4. You do seem to have the old bull by the horns ... the thought of going under the knife appears to have roused you, Prolific of Pendeford ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A displacement activity as you surmise.

      Delete
  5. Excellent work David....now you just need two more blocks to make a unit 😬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. However, that IS the unit. No plans for masses of troops, each base is a unit with common 100mm frontage.

      Delete
    2. They are very nice anyway 🙂

      Delete
  6. Very nice, loved the comment on safe space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some dickhead on Facebook popped up on the flags. I’ve no patience with morons anymore and was blunt in my response.

      Delete
  7. Really lovely looking pikemen! I've been finding myself on the TAG site looking at unit and army deals, I suppose it's only a matter of time! As far as flags is concerned I think I'm going to go with Petes flags too and really who can tell you the rights and wrongs as far as specific flags are concerned in the 16th century? Ludicrous! I have to say I'm with you if it looks good it's good enough!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Sorry if we have put temptation in your way though. I do agree though that Membership plus deals & free postage makes TAG an attractive proposition.

      Delete