David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Monday 24 July 2017

En Avant, Mes Braves!

Monday's game in GHQ saw a return to my Wars of the French Revolution collection, pitting the French, under that military incompetent General de Bykli, against the British Expeditionary force commanded by the only slightly more competent Lord Rawnsley, Phil of course. The action is a fighting withdrawal by the British rearguard, having 12 Turns to deny the French the farm complex at the centre of the table while trying to keep as many units in fighting trim as possible. The French march on in Turn 1, a Light Cavalry Brigade on their left flank and two Light Infantry Demi-Brigades advancing down the road in the centre, supported by a battery of Horse Artillery. Once all these have deployed the leading French Ligne Demi-Brigade can enter the table. The rules used were Black Powder, continuing my resolution to use fewer rule sets and actually try to learn the ones I use. As I'm between photo storage options thanks to , in my opinion, Photobucket's appalling blackmail, disguised as business, I have only a few pictures to capture the action ~
Opening moves see the French cavalry Blunder and the leading Legere
engage the British skirmishers shielding their left wing.
The midpoint in the game: the French right drives in their opponents, but in
the center the Hanoverian Brigade steadfastly holds the farm.
French Chasseurs, out of shot on the left, force one Battalion into square.
The leading Ligne Demi-Brigade finally arrives to expel the Hanoverians from
the farm.
The end is in sight for Lord Walton. His left is driven in; his centre has lost
the farm; his right is retiring!
The game lasted 11 of the planned 12 Turns, with a French victory being agreed as inevitable given only one turn remaining. For Phil the Hanoverian Brigade in his centre put up dogged resistance while his left retired mostly in good order until flanked by the French Chasseurs a Cheval. His right wing cavalry held off the French Hussars, indeed the Hompsch Hussars drove off the French 11th Hussars. The British Light Dragoons failed to emulate their colleagues, probably due to becoming Disordered at a vital juncture in the tussle!

I've completed another unit for this game tonight, three skirmish style bases of Trent Miniatures for a unit of 12 British Marines. Otherwise I'm working on a unit of 10 Dixon Miniatures Union cavalry. Slow going with these, but two are almost done now. I'm off to see Dunkirk tomorrow at the Light House cinema in Wolverhampton. I'll be sure to let you know what I think of it. In the meantime, Toodle Pip!

15 comments:

  1. A jolly good game, a shame that my lads could not preserve their good will with the dice gods a turn longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An excellent set to, I agree, made all the better by the twist in outcome at the finish!

      Delete
  2. Looks great David. As always of course. I've painted nothing no for over a week.

    Dunkirk is excellent. Very different, but truly excellent. Hope you agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Colin, very kind. Off to see the film now!

      Delete
  3. Waiting for Dunkirk to come out here in Brussels... Otherwise it will have to be a DVD for Christmas.
    The game looks splendid. Actually, whatever you did with the pictures this time worked better for me. The big wide panoramas seemed to have a much sharper quality so that I could zoom in on the critical actions whilst still being able to appreciate all of the battle from the descriptions given. A case of less in truth is more? Maybe.
    Best
    Graham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Graham, most kind. I'm using Imgur at present but have a long term solution on the back burner.

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking game, learning a ruleset? Surely that goes against the ethos of continually changing rules until they all run together and you can't tell them apart, alright you might have a point!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learning is perhaps a tad too ambitious in truth. I'd just like not to be in a state of permanent confusion.

      Delete
  5. Great looking game David love the windmill, still need to get a copy of Black Powder for ACW. Saw Dunkirk on Sunday it is excellent and I guess like most Wargamers I set a fairly high standard. Anyone with an interest in WW2 military can't but enjoy the Stuka dives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. The windmill is from Grand Manner, in a sale, the only way I can afford their buildings sadly.

      Delete
  6. Another excellent bash, I have read differing reviews on Dunkirk, I am unsure but will of course watch it.

    I got the Photobucket email but only use it if I put something on TMP, otherwise straight to the blog from the PC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks George. I thought the film good but certainly not great. As to Photobucket, they are bombarding me with emails since I said what I thought!

      Delete
  8. Lovely looking game as always Dave, sorry I won't get a chance to meet up this year as I'm missing every show due to family commitments. Currently hiding from the sun in sweltering Cyprus whilst the Grandsons have a nap. I agree with you about Photobucket, their 'business plan?' Seems to involve liquidation as everyone I know are deleting their accounts with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part timer! Enjoy Cyprus & family, trump wargaming any day in truth! See you next year I hope.

      Delete