David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday, 5 September 2026

To Horse!

 Next to move from the Lead Pimple across the painting desk here in GHQ and endure their moment under the Brush of Doom are the first cavalry Squadrons for the project, Danes of course, represented by Wargames Foundry figures. They are made up from three packs: Cuirassiers charging; Command in tricorn; & Command in informal hats. I opted to base them on one 120 x 60mm base, having seen such an arrangement on a fellow gamer's blog and noted the diorama look potential. You may judge for yourselves as usual ~

The 3rd Jyske Cuirassiers are first up. It seems Danish Cuirassiers went into action often in Buff coats under the cuirass, so these are depicted in such. The standard is the colonel's, from David Morffit's wonderful blog ~ 

https//nba-sywtemplates.blogspot.com

The 4th Jyske Cuirassiers followed their fellows' journey from Lead Pimple to tabletop battlefield in quick order. To differentiate these from their fellows I opted for the grey-white coats as opposed the Buff. Again the standard is from David's site.

I have two Cuirassiers 'spare' now, so adding a further Command pack from Wargames Foundry will give the Danes a third Squadron of Cuirassiers at some point. In the meantime I have some other mounted figures under the Brush of Doom, representing the Württemberg-Oels Dragoons. If all goes well then the dismounted versions should follow on.

Sue and I have been away for a couple of days R&R in Shropshire, staying at The Castle Hotel in Bishop's Castle, built in the early C18th on the site of the ruined castle of the Bishop of Hereford. I can recommend it to any reader looking for a quality break in an interesting location.

We made a friend! 
Clever location placement in the condiments
A Spotted house! What could be more normal?
Well, a painted Pharmacy perhaps?
Or a reminder of the circus elephants evacuated in WWII and lodged in the remnants of the castle's stables.


20 comments:

  1. A cracker of a unit David. There's somthing I just love about the Danes in this period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 120mm bases work a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another splendid unit! :-) And, as always, great to see some of my flags in use too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry - two splendid units, not one! :-)

      Delete
    2. Wonderful resource you provide David!

      Delete
    3. Thanks! Seeing people like and use the flags is always very pleasing. :-)

      Delete
  4. Two lovely units there David and I too must admit I like the Danes and their uniforms:)! The other David's flags really do look superb at this scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SteveJ! David's flags add a certain something to embellish my modest brushwork.

      Delete
  5. Lovely work on the Danish cavalry and the large bases work really well. Must admit I rather like the condiment chess pieces, very nice too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie, your encouragement and support are always appreciated.

      Delete
  6. More goodness for the table. We are on a break as well but I feel more like a taxi driver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your break, the taxi part I can empathise with fully! A tabletop sale on today in same venue as WMMS, so off for a mooch.

      Delete
  7. splendid! I do like the way you've based them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Colin! Trust you are getting better now? Large bases are the future!

      Delete