David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Wednesday 21 November 2018

Action Replay!

No game here in GHQ this week as it was my turn to travel to Phil’s for the third game in our ongoing Fall of the Reich campaign. Phil has blogged our efforts so I hope you will pop over to his site News From the Front, via the side bar link, as I always admire the look of his games. Last week though we did play an ACW game in GHQ, a slightly expanded version of the Wednesday night game Jon and I had fought the week before. Again the game was pretty much nip and tuck right to the end of the allotted 12 Turns. While the Union, commanded by old  Useless S Bykleigh, could not quite pull of a clear victory, they did manage to turn back the Rebel tide! Phil 'Mudwall' Robinson did concede that his army would quit the field due to their overall position at the game’s conclusion, so a winning draw for the Union! I took a handful of pictures just to give a feel for the action ~
Opening moves see the Rebs attacking all along the Union front. Some Union
troops are slow to march out of camp!

The Union camp is strangely calm now the boys have finally moved off to
march to the scene of the fighting!

The Rebs are pinning the Union left flank while attacking the centre and right
vigorously! Old Useless is quite concerned at this stage that his centre may
crumble.

As it happens the centre holds firm against the odds as Reserves arrive in the
nick of time! The Reb right is forced back and some regiments in their centre
are Whipped!

The Reb's left flank crumbles away and 'Mudwall Robinson' orders a tactical
withdrawal, leaving old Useless in possession of the field!

Buoyed up by those two ACW games I have finally got around to cleaning up the three Regiment’s worth of Dixon Miniatures I bought way back last year. I now replace the cast on flagstaffs with wire pikes as I’ve had old ones simply fail if you just caught them. It’s a bit fiddly for me, but much easier than doing it post paining and basing!!! They will end up as one Union Regiment, the 20th Mass, and two Confederate ones, one each from Virginia and Georgia to make up those State's Brigade numbers. I hope to get one at least done before the year’s end...

16 comments:

  1. Great looking game, and thank you for the inspiration. I am in the throes of painting forces for Bonnie Blue Flag, our local group's chosen rule set and was beginning to flag in my enthusiasm for blue and grey in large quantities. Coming back to an earlier exchange on the Borgias, I secured the bases from Warbases and my Macedonian collection looks very smart on them. The prospect of painting 16 figure units for pike and 4 to 8 for everything else also means that the rest of the ancients will be painted in those odd moments when one needs a change. So thanks again for sharing and inspiring. I also inadvertently put some samurai on the smaller unit bases. Oops they also look good at 6 or 7 per base and would be usable for Pike and Shotte.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased my efforts have been of some use! I hope you enjoy my chum Kevin's ACW rules!

      Delete
  2. Looks great, lovely terrain, armies..and this Union camp is superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, nice to have my meagre efforts appreciated.

      Delete
  3. Nice looking game, yes the camp looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George! The camp is in its third or fourth incarnation now.

      Delete
  4. Twas a very fine game, pity my boys could not capitalise on their early success though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely game David, but what rules? Last week we refought the Kernstown scenario again from BP2. This time I took the confederates and won! A really interesting scenario that one, but very hard for the union.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BP2 rules of course with a nod to Glory Hallelujah additions.

      Delete
  6. Another lovely looking game David...
    Do you think Phil keeps loosing because he always plays the baddies...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abother very fine looking game David!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely looking game and even better that the Union with right on its side won/didn't lose!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Iain. It always good not to come second I find...

    ReplyDelete