David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Monday 20 August 2018

A Short Post About The Other Partizan

On Sunday Phil and I travelled over to the Newark Showground to visit The Other Partizan. For me this was especially anticipated as I’d missed the May incarnation of Partizan as I was unable to travel that far so soon after hip replacement surgery. I was up bright and early, almost reminiscent of a kid at Christmas! I had a number of preorders to collect and some surplus figures to deliver too, so these tasks occupied me as soon as we entered the hall. First up, a tower for my Borgias’ Palazzo project from Sally Forth. This is the first time I’ve ordered anything from them and I was much impressed by the exemplary service both on ordering and on collection. I got a basic tower kit with an Italian style crenellation option and a wooden staircase ~
From my favourite MDF merchants at Warbases I collected a preorder of more Modular Buildings, a hay cart and hay load, more bases of course, including two large bespoke pieces for the Palazzo and for another general building. Most pleasing though was Martin’s readiness to cut me some Roman style stone window surround pieces, usually only available in other building kits. Again these are destined for the Palazzo project in due course ~
From Sarissa I picked up a set of plinths from their Gangs of Rome range. After all, the Palazzo will need at least one statue to gaze on ~
From Great Escape Games I got various Tufts and clump foliage as stocks in GHQ had run low. I did buy just a few figures as well: a Tsuba band from Empress, a vet and shepherd from 1st Corps, and three figures for the VBCW project from Footsore, an eye watering £3 a figure! I’ve also pocketed 
the free figure given on entry to the show and ear marked it for the VBCW ~

Finally I got a super gift from long time Wargames chum Colin Romford ~
We intend to try out Rapid Fire 2 in our 28mm 1940 and Operation Zeelowe games, and this publication should prove invaluable in organising a few trial efforts over the coming months. I must say I’ve always found Rapid Fire my favourite rules for larger WWII games, so I’m looking forward to seeing how they shape up in 28mm games now.
By now you will have noticed that there are no pictures of the games! Well, I forgot to take my iPad with me in the excitement! I have to say though that there were some nice games, but none that popped for me at least. Were my expectations too high I wonder after months out of the front line or was I just too busy shopping and chatting to friends old and new ( Hello Robbie!) to pay enough attention? I honestly wouldn’t like to say. One impression I did come away with though was that the show seemed, like Claymore earlier in the month, a little quieter than I remember from other years. Again, it could be just me, I shall wait to see what others say!




10 comments:

  1. Good to see you out and about again David. I agree it seemed a bit quiet and none of the games really pushed all my buttons although many were still pretty good. A good day out nevertheless, and one to be repeated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you too Colin. Yes, a good day out but no stand outs for me at least.

      Delete
  2. Well the preview of your pallazo looks interesting. Maybe it's just the weather,bit hot for a convention?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Games didn’t push any buttons, that’s it!

      Delete
  3. Hi David I thought it was a bit busier but there seems a trend at all shows now that they become very quiet after 14.00

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opinions differ, to be expected of course. The trend to early leaving though is universally noted I find.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a good haul Mr.B.
    Nearly popped over to Newark but in the end I just couldn't be bothered!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi David.

    In terms of base numbers this show was (I think) the busiest we have had for the August/September incarnation. But it is also fair to say that the Second show of the year is always for us a lower attendance than the May version so your impression are probably spot on. We also had 10 fewer games than at the May show which of course means a bit more space. Mid August is not the best of months to be holding a wargames show but at the moment the calendar and the venue both dictate that is where we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard! Nice to see you here! Must be quiet on the rigs I think? Always good to hear from the organisers, perhaps the added space did make it look less busy, we will never know I guess. I wouldn’t like you or Laurence to think I didn’t enjoy my airing, but it was the first major I’d been to since TOP last year, with WMMS being snowed out and then surgery and convalescence this year. I think the absence gave me a different perspective to usual, perhaps slightly more objective, but I shall be there in May DV. Cheers!

      Delete