David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Wednesday 11 July 2018

La Bianca Fattoria

The weather has been hot and sunny here in GHQ seemingly forever, but at least for the last couple of weeks. It will probably rain tomorrow now I’ve said that, but it has meant that I’ve not really felt like painting once the cooler mornings have passed. One thing I have been tatting with though is the first of my buildings for the Italian Wars project, a walled farm. It’s made from Warbases’ Small Roman Tower, two of the Modular Buildings, the High Walls and the Gateway sets. They also cut the base to fit for me from 3mm MDF. The tiles on the buildings and walls are from Wills railway scenics.

I coated the walls with rough textured filler, the cheap sort will do you’ll find. The doors, Windows and shutters are from Warbases’ Accessories line and are just stuck onto the building blanks where ever you want them for a bespoke look. The Lion Head drinking fountain is a new to me 3D print by Iron Gate Scenery - see previous post. It adds a nice touch I think to the building. The climbing plants are a Jarvis product, a bit messy to use I thought, while the static grass and Tufts are from Great Escape Games and The Tutbury Jinny, a model railway shop in Tutbury.

When it came to painting the buildings and base texture I used Crafters Acrylic paints, except for the tiled roofs which I used Valejo Mahogany Brown, followed by a dry brushing of Foundry Orange, Shade and Medium. The walls and buildings were first Rich Brown, then Fawn, finally Antique White, all with a large flat brush. The doors, windows and shutters are washed in Sepia Artists Ink, about four coats, and picked out with Foundry Musket Stock Brown Shade.

My guiding principle was a washed out look, more a wargames terrain piece than a carefully finished model building. You will all have your own opinions on this, but my view is that it will look fine on the table so, “It will do!”  I’ve another building underway now, also made from Warbases’ Modular Buildings and Accessories packs, including a balcony - very Wherefore Art Thou...? At the moment it’s at the Rich Brown stage, but I hope to press on with it in the next day or two. When these two are completed there remain two Charlie Foxtrot buildings, the Small Store and the Small Chapel. As I’m trying to finish my Landsknecht pike block though they will probably have to wait a while for their moment in the sun!

18 comments:

  1. Verily it will do, a very des res indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done David on your build!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely building. The weather has got to me to re the painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George. As I predicted it’s rained here! So, two more Landsknechts finished!

      Delete
  4. It will more than do! Lovely build, the chair and bits of shrubs around the edges are very nice touches, I've got to get on with some Italian wars terrain,I can't just keep on painting landsknechts, although sometimes it feels like that!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, I’m pleased that you like my efforts. As to Landsknechts, I feel your pain. Two more finished here!

      Delete
  5. Lovely buildings David...
    And a nice choice of colours...they have a ‘warmth ‘ to them.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super building. Can I order a hot n spicy meat feast stuffed crust 12" please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Order away, but we don’t deliver oop north!

      Delete
  7. Very impressive, David. I love wargames buildings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s very kind Hal! I like them more when they’re finished! One and a half done, two and a half to go! ☹️

      Delete
  8. You've made a huge improvement on the basic MDF box, the Wills roof tiles look great but the fountain is a really nice piece, a very good find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. I feel the fountain will grace many a gamer’s building in due course. A snip at £3.50 I think.

      Delete