David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 22 April 2018

Gendarmes

Painting has rather slowed down of late here in GHQ, a combination of the warm spell of weather and my mind being on two weeks hence and the operation. I have however managed to finish two bases of Wargames Foundry gendarmes which I bought late last year on a visit to their Factory Shop. As ever with this project the flags are from the brilliant Pete’s Flags and the bases from the wonderful folk at Warbases. I’m a great fan of Foundry figures and down the years I’ve always been well looked after but I wish I’d checked the horse castings while I was there as they were covered in seriously thick flash, between the rear legs especially. But I managed, so no great issue. Here they are anyway, one base matt varnished due to a warm Tuesday and one base still waiting varnish as I’ve used it all up ~

I’ve got all the basic colours on four more Gendarmes which I hope to finish in the next day or so. They were in the package of figures Tim Hall so kindly sent me recently and are a mixture of manufacturers, Foundry, Essex and Hinchliffe I think from the codes I can make out. It matters not a jot either way, they will soon be joining the ranks of Cesare Borgia’s army. In the meantime, next week’s Monday game will again be on Tuesday as I’ve a hospital appointment pre admission. I’ve set out the table this morning for a Sudan War game,using Black Powder rules, as is our wont of late, the Battle of El Tubh. Pop back later next week to see how it went!



16 comments:

  1. Very nice David...
    It’s good to see a sensible amount of flags...

    I think some of these figures were sculpted nearly thirty years ago... so they are doing quite well for themselves...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fine additions to the collection Mr. B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking Genderarmes David. These will really stand out on the table.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous. hope the appointment goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always liked those figures, had quite a few in my Swiss and WotR armies, now all sadly gone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. C'mon Mr.B. no slacking in the ranks ....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice bunch of gendarmes, I'm working on a mixed unit of essex,old glory and unknown gendarmes, I quite like the variety!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spice of wargaming life, at least on this project for me.

      Delete
  8. Very nice I think perhaps a period I should look at some time 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very colourful period, I've found painting so liberating!

      Delete