David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Friday 28 July 2017

Good News, Bad News

Yesterday Sue and I were out on the razzle with Phil and Di. The ladies went shopping in Newark, so there are no prizes for guessing where Phil and I went. Yes, that's correct, we went shopping ourselves, to Foundry in nearby East Stoke. I needed loads of new paints as many pots of the most commonly used colours, especially the Shade options, were almost exhausted. I also took the opportunity to buy a few packs to add to what is now more than a Lead Pimple, more of a swelling I'd guess. For my AWI Americans I got two guns and crew, the 8lb and the Grasshopper 3lb; for WWII 1940 I got German Officers, Infantry & Support Weapons, I also got two free unreleased British Home Guard. Finally, for my Wars of the French Revolution project I got some RHA, founded as they were in 1793; two crews, a battery command & two 9ld guns (I also got a 12ld gun for a later project for the collection). All in all a good visit, followed up by a spell in Melton Mowbray, where we sampled the famous pies, and then dinner in the Otter near Kegworth, but we'll pass that by...

The bad news? Sometime in the small hours one of my Don Trioni prints in GHQ fell off the wall, the brass wire fitted by the framers failed, and smashed down onto parts of my French army. There's a good deal of damage, and some units, like my Foundry Chasseurs, will need a lot of tlc. The recovery has already started, but things may be a bit quiet from GHQ for a few days so I hope you understand. Oh, and the glass needs replacing in the print frame...

15 comments:

  1. OMG NO! Quelle Fromage! Hope the chasseurs can be saved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quelle domage indeed! Repairs are underway!

      Delete
  2. A disaster indeed, some consolation is underway :~)
    Did the print escape damage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Print is ok, frame is marked by broken glass I suspect.

      Delete
  3. Oh dear.......a freak accident by the sound of it, I'm sure/hope you can recover them. Sounds like you got quite a lot of stuff at Foundry and the pimple may be developing into a volcano !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you say, a freakish event. Repairs underway. I will confess to a slight swelling of the Lead Mound if pressed!

      Delete
  4. The Horror! Heartfelt commiserations to both you and the little tin heroes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks William, both from me and the little mens!

      Delete
  5. I had a similar thing happen to me expect it was on some terrain pieces, but fortunately they were not painted yet so it was just repair work. Still haven't replaced the glass....

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a fair haul from foundry, I hope the recovery isn't too depressing!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed a decent haul which I am already regretting given the expansion of the Lead Pimple.

      Delete
  7. That is bad news. Good luck on the tidy up - it is a terrible job at the best of times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, repairs going along well.

      Delete