David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 22 February 2015

A Late Entry

I mentioned yesterday that I was still working on figures for the Command stand for the Austrian Army. Well, unexpectedly I have finished it today and so I thought I would put it up for the odd interested passer by ~























The mounted figures are by Front Rank, as Trent Miniatures don't have any Austrian generals yet in the range. The two figures on foot are from Trent and are an Austrian German officer and a Hungarian drummer. I don't think the drummers are on general release yet.{When I got my order at Partizan last September they were included by Duncan, along with a fifer and some Grenadier standard bearers.)























I'm far from happy with the red as it turned out. As I mentioned in a reply to Phil on the previous Blog post, red, white and black can be difficult colours. But, no more generals to do apart from a Cavalry Command base, so they will do for now.























I think this close up gives a good idea of the Foundry 'Austrian White' triad, although I miss out the mid shade as the gradation is too gentle to my eye with the three being used. Matt has sent me an idea for using a different colour combination which he got from Dave Imrie, so I might use that on the next part of the project, a German Infantry battalion. Or then again, I might stick with what I know. I'll mull it over while I'm away.
In the never ending quest for other ranges to supplement the project I've looked at Elite, Old Glory, Eureka and now Foundry. The latter have some nicely posed early Austrian infantry ~ German and Hungarian, line fusiliers and grenadiers too! I may get some of these later in the year, as I'm confident they'll be a good match for the Trent look, but I also want some Curassiers and it seems only Eureka do these. Now at £4.10 each on the Fighting 15s website they look dear, but that's only 10p more than I'd pay for a Foundry cavalryman (£12 in a pack of three} so I may order some in the summer too. On the other hand, if I happen on a stockist in New Zealand I might bring them home with me! Well, you never know... Toodle Pip for a while!

11 comments:

  1. The eureka usa website has them for 5.30$, which works to 3.44 in yours. Don't know if it'd be worth a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Postage though, tomw, would probably be crippling, plus the UK import duty if customs opened it. I've been hit once or twice and the PO admin charge really stings.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Christopher! Hope your mojo is back soon!

      Delete
  3. Nice little flurry before the off there Mr. B.
    Church Hill awaits your return :-)
    Have fun.
    Bon Voyage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall return! Though not for a few weeks! Slart Ye Mightily in the meantime! See you soon - ish!

      Delete
  4. David, just found this, really nice blog, particularly with my interest in the Rev Wars. I will keep watching.
    Dave.
    http://thenorthumbrianwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/28mm%20French%20Revolutionary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave! I have enjoyed following your Blog, especially the inspiring FRW posts. I have a question for you: in your Trent Austrian Infantry units who made the standard bearers? Matt says he only made Grenadier standard bearers. Ta! David

      Delete
  5. The Eureka Dragoons are well worth the money, well all of the range is in fact, although the French Infantry could do with a revamp to match the later, finer sculping style. I am lucky that I can order direct from Melborne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Austrian cuirassiers are on their way from Eureka as I type ~ hope they are quicker than the postcards we sent which went via Brunai for some reason!!!! If I like them once they are painted I'll add some Cheveaux Legere to the 'army'.

      Delete